Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Calcium Alumina Cement


The cement arrived last Friday, a major step forward. The guys at our local lumber yard were kind enough to bring up their forklift to unload the truck at my house. I bought Secar 51 from Pryor Giggey in Chehalis, Washington. They had a $600 min order so I purchased 1200 lbs at $0.50 per lb. . I have estimated I will need at least 800 lbs but I didn't mind having to get a little extra. In the background you can see the clay pile and my batch box. Now I need to find some sawdust. Next: Brick molds

1 comment:

Ghostgrrrl said...

Hey there, I saw your post on Clayart about the Bourry box woodfire kiln. We had one at the old Mesa Arts Center in Mesa, Az. Jeff Reich, who runs the ceramic program there, built it. I helped fire it several times, and we got some great looking pots. The main problem we had was trying to fill the firebox with wood evenly during firing. If you didn't get the first pieces of wood all the way to the back it would clog and we would have a cold spot until it all burned down. I would put doors on both sides of the firebox if it isn't designed that way already.