Sunday, January 13, 2008

Brick Molds


I completed the first set of molds. I bought a piece of 3/4" A/C as it strengthens the wedged tenons. I chose to put a little extra time into making these in this style as they will be easier to demold and I expect them to last through many kilns. End pieces will be interchangeable and I will make different side pieces for different lengths. I sealed the inside faces with Tompsons water seal. The mold will create a tongue and a groove in each brick. It is a little hard to see in the assembled mold, but in the expanded photo you can see, on the lengthwise sections, the parts which will form the tongue and the longer 2 x2 coming off the end piece which will form the groove. The groove was made slightly larger than the tongue and both were beveled to 10 degrees. Note that in the expanded photo the piece which forms the groove is upside down in relation to its position in the assembled mold.



1 comment:

TheArtistDonaldB said...

Very nice mold construction. Good idea for interlocking the brick. Wonder how it will hold up to the stresses of a firing?